Access up to $50,000
Thanks to the Autonomous Vehicle Integration Network (AVIN), AVIN Waterloo Ventures at Communitech offers support and up to $50,000 in funding to Ontario-based startups and scale-ups using HD mapping technologies to develop or enhance their products and services.
Proposals are invited from companies that either directly support the connected and autonomous vehicle sector, or other verticals such as transportation, logistics, utilities, infrastructure, internet and media.
Keep me posted
Applications for the third cohort of this exciting program will open in spring 2021. Want to be amongst the first to apply? Sign up here and we’ll let you know when it’s time to submit your application.
For more information, check out our FAQ.
Updates from cohort one companies
Applications may include, but are not limited to:
- Connected and autonomous vehicles
- Artificial Intelligence for map production
- Sensor and multiple data source fusion for map production
- Localization and perception technology
- Map maintenance/updating and deployment technology
- Cloud-based storage and processing
- HD Map usage in C/AV simulation and training
- C/AV security technology related to HD Map usage
- Geospatial analytics
- Map visualization
- Map usage that improves accessibility
- Pedestrian navigation
- Applications of mapping technology in other sectors (e.g., Utilities, infrastructure, fleet management, public transportation, real estate, advertising, etc.)
Successful companies will be awarded:
- Funding up to $50,000 to be used towards eligible project costs related to product development, market traction and business scaling. Funds must be used to:
- Develop or demonstrate a viable working prototype (product development).
- Make product or service improvements to generate greater market traction and sales.
- Time with coaches focused on GIS, Spatial Analytics, HD Mapping, Data Science, Data Strategy, and/or Data Engineering. This could also include additional coaching for business functions such as sales, marketing, talent retention and attraction, etc.
- Support from a panel of experts to help overcome project challenges and barriers.
- Dedicated support from a data analyst through the Communitech Data Concierge program. A data analyst will connect companies to external sources of data and other resources.
- Upon successful completion of the program, Communitech will provide a referral to a demonstration project and/or matchmaking event with corporate partners through the AVIN Demo Zone.
Proposals will be evaluated based on business feasibility as well as impact on the C/AV ecosystem, contribution to spatial data and HD mapping maturity (firm or ecosystem level), and the innovative application of spatial/HD Map data or HD mapping technology.
Successful applicants must provide an in-kind match at a ratio of at least 1:1.5 of the amount awarded.
- You are an Ontario based, incorporated startup or scale-up (under 500 employees).
- You have not received previous funding through the AVIN Waterloo Ventures program.
- You currently use or have identified future opportunities to use mapping technology and data driven maps in products or services.
- You plan to use program funding for product development, sourcing first customers and solving real business needs (funding is not eligible for use for marketing and/or sales activities).
The AVIN Waterloo Ventures Program is offered through the Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) RTDS partners: Communitech, University of Waterloo WatCAR and the Waterloo Economic Development Corporation.
Thanks to the Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Network (AVIN) for funding the Waterloo Regional Technology Development Site, delivered on behalf of the government of Ontario through Ontario Centres of Excellence.