Hey medtech startups!
Need funding from medtech investors? Want advice on selling into the healthcare ecosystem? Trying to get Health Canada and FDA approval?
We’ve got your back.
There are 100+ medtech companies in Waterloo Region. We have world-class talent, a large entrepreneurial support and expertise network, and nearby medtech hubs and teaching hospitals.
You probably already know about the perks of being a Communitech member. Here’s how we help medtech companies:
- We can set you up with one of our medtech growth coaches for advice on everything from company and product strategy to Health Canada and FDA approval.
- Our network is fire. Access physicians, nurses and other healthcare professionals, as well as partners like Octane, OBIO, CAN Health, Synapse Hamilton, Velocity and MIX.
- Need funding? We have a massive investor network. We can connect you with medtech investors in Canada and the U.S.
- Start networking. Access our events and Peer2Peer groups. Want to meet other founders? Want to network with others in the medtech field? We can help.
“Communitech has transformed how we communicate our value proposition as a business. Their growth coaches are key experts that provide a significant depth of knowledge in key areas in the medtech space. The mentorship and resources of the group are immense. It has been the single most valuable opportunity for us as a company and it is truly a growth program.”
– Dr. Karen Cross, Founder, CEO at MIMOSA Diagnostics
Meet the Growth Coaches
CEO Bresotec Medical, former CEO Bionik Laboratories, Co-Founder Tribute Pharmaceuticals
- Capital strategy
- Business planning strategy
- Team building
Chief Commercial Officer Kenota Health, former VP Global Marketing Unitron Hearing
- Company strategy
- Sales and marketing
- Product planning
- International distribution and launches
- Team development and executive coaching
Professor - Bachelor of Applied Health Information Sciences, former Director of Product Marketing Intelerad Medical Systems
- Product strategy
- Commercialization and marketing strategy
- Software as a medical device
- Health informatics and data management
MedTech sales and marketing for startups and scale-ups
RJ currently works as President of Strategic Transformation Consulting, a private consulting firm focused on providing strategic sales and marketing services to small and mid-cap companies. Prior to this, RJ was an award-winning senior executive with a demonstrated history of success delivering sales in Medical/IT industries.
Expertise: GPO & national account management, Sales operations and marketing strategy, Distribution management
Former President and CEO Perimeter Medical Imaging
- Product development
Medical device regulatory advice for startups & scale-ups
With 35 years of experience in Quality Management and Regulatory Affairs, Gord Wehner brings extensive experience in guiding innovative medical organizations toward the implementation of an effective quality management systems and navigating international medical device regulatory requirements.
Expertise: Medical device regulatory strategy, Quality Management Systems
From basement startup to global medtech star
Medtech startup raises US$9M Series A round for rapid allergy testing
Velocity launches micro-VC fund to help medtech firms
Communitech’s membership cost is determined by the number of employees at your company.
- Startups with less than 20 employees receive membership for free.
- Scale-ups with 21-40 employees start at $2,000 per year plus HST.
Communitech works with our medtech member companies to get them ready for their next funding round. We can help connect you to our network of investors across Canada and the U.S. Not quite ready for that? We have growth coaches and healthcare professionals who can help you get there.
Nope! We’re here to support you as you start and grow. That means our services are free and membership is provided at no cost – until you hit 21 employees.
We support medtech founders year round. That means you can access our services anytime. You’re also never “graduated” from our programming so you can be a Communitech member and stay involved in our programs for as long as you want.
Medtech startups play a key role in the Waterloo Region startup ecosystem. Communitech has been here since 1997. That means we have seen and supported the growth of a lot of medtech startups like Curiato, KA Imaging and Intellijoint Surgical.
We offer services specific to medtech startups – in addition to all the other pros of being a Communitech member. From growth coaching to investor introductions and connections with other medtech partners and healthcare professionals – just to name a few.