Waterloo Region, September 9, 2016— Geek Week WR returns Sept. 10-24, for a sampling of diverse happenings in Waterloo Region from grassroots, academic, and institutional levels. Over 20 events and vendors will join in the celebration of the collective community’s passion for creativeness. Events include:
- Maker Expo, a family-friendly event featuring makers and DIY’ers passionate about creating things both physically and virtually. Individuals, teams, and organizations will offer demos, workshops and interactive exhibits.
- Girl Geek Dinners Waterloo Region, with topics like chat bots and user centered design from industry experts at Boltmade and Miovision.
- HackerNest Kitchener-Waterloo, a relaxed social to connect with others in the local tech ecosystem.
- Startups and Beer, presented by Sortable, is an opportunity to network, learn about startups and drink great brews.
- Hack the North, the largest hackathon in North America, will host over 1,000 students from across the globe over the course of 36 hours to create new things with software and hardware.
- Doors Open Waterloo, this year’s “Into Science + Tech” theme has local companies including Google and Shopify opening their doors for the public to explore.
- and many more.
Local vendors and restaurants have also joined to celebrate, offering discounts and specials for the duration of Geek Week WR, including Abe Erb, Good Vibes Juice Co., Café Pyrus, White Rabbit and more. Participants can collect 5 stamps at supporting vendors for a chance to win $500 in Downtown Dollars.
For more information, please contact:
Public Relations Specialist
Communitech is a private-public innovation centre in Waterloo Region that supports a community ecosystem of more than 1,000 tech companies—from startups to rapidly growing mid-size companies and large global players. A member of the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs, which is funded by the Ontario Government, Communitech helps tech companies start, grow and succeed.