Teams in the A.I and Machine Learning vertical headed to Kitchener/Waterloo represent a range of industries and metros including Australia, Brazil, Colorado, and Toronto.
(JUNE 6, 2017- Waterloo Region, ON) – Communitech, a Google for Entrepreneurs partner, will host founders from around the world June 19-23 in the Waterloo Region as part of the Google for Entrepreneurs Exchange program. The week-long immersion program bridges the gap between startups, experts and new markets. The focus of Communitech’s Exchange programming will be: ‘Building and Connecting the Best Data-Driven and A.I. Led Startups.’
Participating teams will receive full exposure to the Waterloo Region and Toronto ecosystem. This includes intensive mentoring from senior leaders on Google’s engineering and sales and marketing teams,, and connections to investors, machine learning experts, artificial intelligence researchers and larger enterprises through Communitech’s corporate innovation program. The week will conclude with an investor event where companies will pitch before dozens of venture capitalists and corporate CEOs from the Toronto-Waterloo Corridor. Following the week-long program, the founders will continue receiving guidance and support from their Google mentors through remote mentor sessions over a 12-week period.
“We’re excited to host international founders in Waterloo Region,” said Greg Barratt, VP, Strategic Growth Team, Communitech. “The Google for Entrepreneurs Exchange series is a great opportunity for these startups to truly experience the globally-recognized tech ecosystem we call home here in the Toronto-Waterloo Corridor.”
“Communitech is uniquely positioned to provide AI and data-driven startups with the tools, connections and expertise that will enable them to enter a new market and position their companies for growth,” said Nicole Froker, Partner Engagement Manager for Google for Entrepreneurs. “We are proud to partner with Communitech on this program, and provide Google expertise to support founders from across the GFE partner network.” This is the sixth Exchange program run in collaboration with Google for Entrepreneurs partners. Previous cities have included Durham, Nashville, Paris, San Francisco, and Dubai.
The following eight startups were selected from across the Google for Entrepreneurs global partner network, as well as through open applications.
- CarePredict Inc. (San Francisco, CA – Aging2.0): A wearable for seniors that tracks the activities of daily living such as eating, drinking, and bathing to determine when a senior may be experiencing the precursors to declines in health.
- Fhinck (Sao Paulo, BR – Campus Sao Paulo): Fhinck uses artificial intelligence to increase productivity in back office and support operations.
- GUPY (Sao Paulo, BR – Campus Sao Paulo): Gupy automates recruitment and talent selection management based on people analytics and artificial intelligence.
- Heretik (Chicago, IL – 1871): Heretik leverages machine learning to solve inefficiencies during legal contract review with software that simplifies the import process, automates contract categorization, and identifies key contract sections to save your team valuable time and resources.
- Invision.ai (Toronto, ON – open application): Invision.ai uses artificial intelligence to make the lives of video surveillance and security users better by replacing billions of motion-triggered false alerts with actionable insight.
- Jamie & I (Sydney, AU – Fishburners): Jamie & I combines technology with fashion and is home to Jamie – the virtual shopping assistant, who uses artificial intelligence to learn about a customer’s personal style and regularly sends customers a curated selection of outfit suggestions tailored to their style.
- Nama (Sao Paulo, BR – Campus Sao Paulo): An automated chat platform based on NLP and deep learning capable of understanding natural language and answering users in multiple channels to make services simpler, faster and more efficient.
- Spatial.ai (Boulder, CO – Techstars): A location-based behavioral data API that powers vehicles, mobile apps and website maps to answer questions only a local would know.
Communitech is a private-public innovation centre in Waterloo Region that supports a community ecosystem of more than 1,000 tech companies—from startups to rapidly growing mid-size companies and large global players. A member of the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs, which is funded by the Ontario Government, Communitech helps tech companies start, grow and succeed.
About Google for Entrepreneurs
Google for Entrepreneurs provides financial support and the best of Google’s resources to dozens of co-working spaces and community programs across 140 countries. We also create Campuses: physical hubs where entrepreneurs can learn, connect, and build companies that will change the world. To learn more about Google for Entrepreneurs, visit google.com/entrepreneurs or follow us on G+ (+GoogleForEntrepreneurs) and Twitter (@GoogleForEntrep).