KITCHENER, June 19, 2019- The True North conference and festival, powered by Communitech, welcomes a gathering of tech leaders in Waterloo Region this week. The conference is held at Lot 42 in Kitchener June 19 and 20, while the public festival will feature events throughout Uptown Waterloo and Downtown Kitchener, bringing together conference attendees and the broader community.
The True North conference brings together tech companies, startups, policy makers, academia and community groups to have important, and sometimes difficult, conversations about AI, diversity, fake news and other issues at the intersection of society and technology.
The conference features over 50 speakers, half of whom are women, along with thematic panels, break-out sessions and community consultations. Some of the featured speakers include:
- Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web. It’s a rare thing for a person to invent something as monumental and world-changing as the web. It’s rarer still to understand and plan for the possibility that your invention could easily be misused and altered in problematic ways. Berners-Lee has seen the future again, and this time it’s a web that works for humanity.
- Kara Swisher, Editor-at-large of Recode, host of the Recode Decode podcast and executive producer of the Code Conference. As Silicon Valley’s most feared and well-liked journalist, Swisher shines a light on the Web’s major players and the Internet policy issues that both unite and divide us.
- Thomas L. Friedman, bestselling author and New York Times foreign affairs columnist. Based on his most recent book, Friedman will break down three macro-trends driving the increasing pace of change in our world: climate change, globalization and technology.
- Komal Singh, Engineering Program Manager, Google. During her day job, Singh works on tech that impacts billions of people around the globe. As her side hustle, she wrote the bestseller “Ara The Star Engineer” to inspire kids and minorities to explore the magic of STEM by featuring real-life engineering leaders.
Another important feature of True North is the festival, with over 50 public events taking place Uptown Waterloo and Downtown Kitchener, including musical performances by Great Lake Swimmers, Safe As Houses, Bird City, and Canadian DJ Frank Walker with special guests Crown Lands and DJ Leanne Rhymes.
For more speakers and conference and festival schedules please visit www.truenorthwaterloo.com.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Public Relations Manager, Communitech
Communitech was founded in 1997 by a group of entrepreneurs committed to making Waterloo Region a global innovation leader. At the time it was crazy talk, but somehow this community managed to pull it off. Today, Communitech is a public-private innovation hub that supports a community of more than 1400 companies — from startups to scale-ups to large global players.
Communitech is a member of the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs and helps tech companies start, grow and succeed in three distinct ways.
- Communitech is a place – the center of gravity for entrepreneurs and innovators. A clubhouse for building cool tech and great companies.
- Communitech delivers programs – helping companies at all stages with access to capital, customers and talent. We are here to help them grow and innovate.
- Communitech partners in building a world-leading ecosystem – making sure we have all the ingredients (and the brand) to go from a small startup to a global giant.