Resources for talent, students and companies
Access helpful tools and attend events to help you land your next role.
Enrolled in post-secondary? Here are some ways you can engage with the tech community.
Supporting your team in the virtual world isn't easy. Let us help.
International talent looking to move to Canada? We’ve got you covered.
Adapting Your Job Search to a Virtual Environment Video Series
Adapting Your Job Search to a Virtual Environment a three-part video series. It's designed to help companies and job seekers alike transition to a virtual environment, stay connected to the Canadian tech ecosystem during COVID-19 and act as a resource to share and leverage best practices amidst the new normal.
Articles and resources
- Artemis: Video interview – candidate preparation
- Optimum Talent: Managing Your Job Search During Times of Uncertainty
- 5 Interview Tips to Help You Succeed
- Gowling has prepared this FAQ on the impacts of COVID-19 to temporary foreign workers. Please note that this information should not replace legal advice as government rules and policies continue to evolve.
Communitech's Peer2Peer (P2P) Groups provide an opportunity for individuals in similar roles or functions to learn, exchange advice and explore best-practices through a range of topics and session formats.
Job Seekers Connex
A P2P Group that provides resources to expand job seekers’ skills related to brand management, interviewing, resumé development and networking. Open to both technical and non-technical talent.
Managing your job search
Ask the Recruiter provides you with trusted advice from talent acquisition professionals to help you prepare and navigate your job search.
Communitech partnered with Heather Bellingham, Olivia Tait and Justin Krulicki who have a combined 15 years of experience in recruitment to answer questions related to job searching, resumé creation, interviewing and LinkedIn job search etiquette.
To watch “Ask The Recruiter” please visit their YouTube channel.
Communitech is working with Prospect and actively scanning their Help List for talent displaced from our member companies. We are sharing this information with our member companies who indicate they are actively hiring.
Optimum Talent is offering free access to their Thrive software to anyone affected by COVID-19. Thrive offers bilingual software tools that are valuable to anyone looking for their next job opportunity. These include:
- Resume builder.
- Job search software.
- Job tracker.
- Networking tools.
- Event search.
- Learning centre with content to help manage your job search.
- Proprietary browser extension to analyse and track postings across job boards.
Find your next startup job opportunity with this curated platform.
Lost your job because of COVID-19? If you have startup experience and are looking for another role, many MaRS-supported startups are still hiring.
Our friends at MaRS have partnered with Curasion to launch a temporary COVID-19 Talent Relief platform that connects qualified applicants to high-growth, high-impact tech companies. From now until the end of August, startups will be able to match with qualified workers through this special offering.
Join MaRS COVID-19 Talent Relief, share your profile, and start connecting with hiring startups.
Plum believes that applicants should be considered based on talents that translate to success on the job—and that’s exactly what they measure. Create your Plum profile to learn how to better market yourself to your dream employer. Also learn what makes you most happy and fulfilled in your work, which types of work environments best suit you and how your personality affects your interviews. Creating a Plum profile is free and only takes about 25 minutes.
There are a number of organizations in Waterloo, Wellington and Dufferin dedicated to helping you find employment. Explore the Workforce Planning Board of Waterloo Wellington Dufferin for information on the current labour market, as well as job and industry growth, events and activities designed to support jobseekers as they undertake their job search.
Conestoga College is available to help you with your job search as well as assist you with your next career change. Their Career Centre offers specialized workshops, mock interviews, events and academic advisement—all free of charge. These sessions are open to the public and accessible to those who are currently unemployed.
Professional development opportunities
Develop the skills to meet the needs of Canada's evolving workplaces.
Virtual programs are now available.
We're here to help students too
If you're enrolled at a Canadian post-secondary institution, Communitech can help connect you to the local and national tech community.
WorkInTech.ca is Communitech’s job board that brings together a comprehensive list of career opportunities in tech-driven companies throughout Waterloo Region.
Connect with other local tech co-ops
Are you completing a co-op placement in Waterloo Region tech? Join our online community to grow your network and socialize with like-minded students.
Articles and resources
- Dean Group – How your unique value proposition impacts your recruitment process
- Artemis – Your guide to virtual hiring
- Waterloo Region Tech Salary Survey
- Lutherwood Services and Supports Offered to Businesses through Employment Ontario:
- Planning and hosting job fairs (either at our office, at the business site or virtually)
- Finding and prescreening candidates to save you time
- Interview support by providing assistance throughout the interview process, including a platform to meet with candidates virtually
- Onboarding new hires with a training incentive which includes supporting both the employer and new hire with any issues/challenges; providing additional individualized support for youth and persons with disabilities
- Training current and new hires – financial support for employers in upgrading/retraining or new formal training for their employees in order to remain competitive in the tech industry
- Resource & Information – providing and sourcing information and resources to additional government funding, HR/ESA/Legislation information, business development, lay-off/business closure supports available, etc.
Communitech & COVID-19 support | Connecting companies with displaced talent
Communitech has created a survey that allows us to accurately capture information about our member companies who are able to continue to hire amidst COVID-19. If that is you, please complete the linked survey so that we may capture information on your company and its open roles as well as ensure you receive updates on displaced talent.
Scale faster. Communitech Outposts makes it easy and affordable for Canadian companies to hire talent in over 160 countries.
Ask Me Anything
Communitech's Ask Me Anything sessions feature industry experts answering questions submitted by startups and scale-ups.
Communitech is also working with Prospect’s help list (thehelplist.ca) to identify displaced employees from our member companies who are looking for their next opportunity.
Virtual events and webinars
There are a number of online events and special-focus webinars hosted by industry experts across the country. Whether you’re looking for a seminar on financial advice amidst the current economic situation or best practices on remote work, our national innovation partners at the Canadian Digital Media Network (CDMN) have something for you.
Search for job opportunities in Canada
The tech scene in Canada is as diverse as our people. From Vancouver to Toronto, Waterloo to Montreal, Canada has the opportunities for you to grow your career - no matter what your specialty.
Whether they moved here for school, for work or born and raised, Waterloo is home to some of the most creative people you’ll ever meet. The Communitech Talent Support Slack is a great way for international talent and expats to connect with companies looking to hire. Sign up and connect with Waterloo Region’s tech community.