Supporting your team in the virtual world isn't easy. Let us help.
Looking to network with fellow tech professionals or to land your next role? Check out these helpful resources and events to learn more.
Enrolled in post-secondary? Here are some ways you can engage with the tech community.
Articles and resources
- Post your open roles on the Work in Tech job board or or our national job board
- Dean Group – How your unique value proposition impacts your recruitment process
- Artemis – Your guide to virtual hiring
- Lutherwood Services and Supports Offered to Businesses through Employment Ontario:
- Planning and hosting job fairs (either at our office, at the business site or virtually)
- Finding and prescreening candidates to save you time
- Interview support by providing assistance throughout the interview process, including a platform to meet with candidates virtually
- Onboarding new hires with a training incentive which includes supporting both the employer and new hire with any issues/challenges; providing additional individualized support for youth and persons with disabilities
- Training current and new hires – financial support for employers in upgrading/retraining or new formal training for their employees in order to remain competitive in the tech industry
- Resource & Information – providing and sourcing information and resources to additional government funding, HR/ESA/Legislation information, business development, lay-off/business closure supports available, etc.
- Contact Us: Call or e-mail Claire Athey, Employment Consultant at 519-497-3103 email@example.com.
- Hiring co-op students - navigating the process and accessing funding
- Conestoga College and Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo - all offer the guidance of co-op advisors dedicated to helping you find and fund talent. Right now, most programs are offering more flexibility in their requirements (shorter terms, more students, remote work, etc.) in order to make it easier to bring on student talent during the pandemic.
- TKS is a North American-wide innovation program for high school students that trains them on how to use emerging tech to solve important problems. Learn more about how to hire a TKS student here.
- WE Accelerate (The University of Waterloo)- a robust alternative to a traditional co-op work term for first work term students that focuses on projects requiring digital expertise in alignment with their Digital Bootcamp stream
- UW is seeking more projects from employers to be completed July-August 2021 (120 hours in length). To learn more about WE Accelerate and to submit a project: https://uwaterloo.ca/hire/waterloo-experience-accelerate
- Additional resources to help you fund student wages:
- Co-op Tax Credits - up to $3000 reimbursement of salary for co-op students
- Student Work Placement Program (SWPP) - outlined here by the University of Waterloo, this program which offers grants to fund up to 75% (max $7500) of student wages for a wide range of both technical and nontechnical roles. It has also been adapted to support the following areas:
- BioTalent Canada's Student Work Placement Program - now open to the healthcare sector, this wage subsidy covers 75% of a student’s salary to produce more job-ready healthcare workers
- Magnet Student Work Placement Program - this social innovation platform also reimburses eligible employers for 75% of wages paid to students while additionally providing access to more than 1 million students in 95+ post-secondary institutions
- Access Student Talent Program - connects small businesses with post-secondary students through a partnership between The Greater Kitchener-Waterloo Chamber of Commerce (GKWCC) and the Business + Higher Education Roundtable (BHER)
- Mitacs Accelerate - provides salary for students from undergrad through post-PhD who are pursuing R&D or research projects in partnership with universities through a 1:1 industry match
- Mitacs BSI - has launched a new initiative in partnership with participating postsecondary institutions to provide a 5K:5K match funding scenario to help Business students with projects that look at pivoting due to COVID (product road mapping, market research, etc.)
- OCE Voucher for Innovation Project - 1:1 cash funding from the industry partner at a minimum of 20K over 6 months available to hire students
Cross Border Wealth Management
Are you moving talent across the border?
Steele Wealth Management (SWM) can help your employees with cross border wealth management. They assist their clients by overseeing U.S. and Canadian affairs. SWM has U.S. and Canadian registered investment advisors based in Canada who offer integrated cross-border wealth management solutions, whether you’re an American living in Canada, Canadian living in the U.S. or anyone who has previously worked in the U.S.
SWM offers a one-stop solutions for:
- RRSPs and investment accounts for Canadians living in the U.S.
- RRSPs for Americans working in Canada.
- IRA/ROTH IRA and 401(k) rollovers for Americans living in Canada.
Do you need a cross-border financial strategy?
Who is this for: Cross-border wealth management solutions for Americans living in Canada, Canadians living in the U.S. or anyone who has previously worked in the U.S.
Communitech & COVID-19 support | Connecting companies with displaced talent
Communitech has created a survey that allows us to accurately capture information about our member companies who are able to continue to hire amidst COVID-19. If that is you, please complete the linked survey so that we may capture information on your company and its open roles as well as ensure you receive updates on displaced talent.
Tech salary surveys
Waterloo Region tech salary survey
Communitech, along with our friends at BenchMarket, is on a mission to shed light on compensation, recruitment and retention policies in Waterloo Region tech. Access to this data allows your company to compare current policies to benchmarked figures within the region and Ontario.
Normandin Beaudry AI salary survey (Canada)
The Canadian AI industry is rapidly evolving and growing, and companies like you are looking for reliable and regular market data to attract and retain high-demand talent.
Return to work[space]
It’s on the horizon. It’s not too late to plan a back-to-the-office strategy that makes sense for your company.
Scale faster. Communitech Outposts makes it easy and affordable for Canadian companies to hire talent in over 160 countries.
Ask Me Anything
Communitech's Ask Me Anything sessions feature industry experts answering questions submitted by startups and scale-ups.
The Help List
Check out The Help List – our database of displaced talent looking for their next opportunity.
Virtual events and webinars
There are a number of online events and special-focus webinars hosted by industry experts across the country. Whether you’re looking for a seminar on financial advice amidst the current economic situation or best practices on remote work, our national innovation partners at the Canadian Digital Media Network (CDMN) have something for you.
Adapting Your Job Search to a Virtual Environment Video Series
Adapting Your Job Search to a Virtual Environment a three-part video series. It's designed to help companies and job seekers alike transition to a virtual environment, stay connected to the Canadian tech ecosystem during COVID-19 and act as a resource to share and leverage best practices amidst the new normal.
Articles and resources
- Artemis: Video interview - candidate preparation
- Optimum Talent: Managing Your Job Search During Times of Uncertainty
- 5 Interview Tips to Help You Succeed
- Gowling has prepared this FAQ on the impacts of COVID-19 to temporary foreign workers. Please note that this information should not replace legal advice as government rules and policies continue to evolve.
- Canada wants you
Managing your job search
Virtual career fairs provide you with the opportunity to expand your job hunting and to explore what potential careers might be appealing to you.
Also, don't forget to register for Tech Jam from Home.
Ask the Recruiter provides you with trusted advice from talent acquisition professionals to help you prepare and navigate your job search.
Communitech partnered with Heather Bellingham, Olivia Tait and Justin Krulicki who have a combined 15 years of experience in recruitment to answer questions related to job searching, resumé creation, interviewing and LinkedIn job search etiquette.
To watch “Ask The Recruiter” please visit their YouTube channel.
Communitech is working with Prospect and actively scanning their Help List for talent displaced from our member companies. We are sharing this information with our member companies who indicate they are actively hiring.
Find your next startup job opportunity with this curated platform.
Lost your job because of COVID-19? If you have startup experience and are looking for another role, many MaRS-supported startups are still hiring.
Our friends at MaRS have partnered with Curasion to launch a temporary COVID-19 Talent Relief platform that connects qualified applicants to high-growth, high-impact tech companies. From now until the end of August, startups will be able to match with qualified workers through this special offering.
Join MaRS COVID-19 Talent Relief, share your profile, and start connecting with hiring startups.
Plum believes that applicants should be considered based on talents that translate to success on the job—and that’s exactly what they measure. Create your Plum profile to learn how to better market yourself to your dream employer. Also learn what makes you most happy and fulfilled in your work, which types of work environments best suit you and how your personality affects your interviews. Creating a Plum profile is free and only takes about 25 minutes.
There are a number of organizations in Waterloo, Wellington and Dufferin dedicated to helping you find employment. Explore the Workforce Planning Board of Waterloo Wellington Dufferin for information on the current labour market, as well as job and industry growth, events and activities designed to support jobseekers as they undertake their job search.
Conestoga College is available to help you with your job search as well as assist you with your next career change. Their Career Centre offers specialized workshops, mock interviews, events and academic advisement—all free of charge. These sessions are open to the public and accessible to those who are currently unemployed.
- The tech scene in Canada is as diverse as our people. From Vancouver to Toronto, Waterloo to Montreal, Canada has the opportunities for you to grow your career - no matter what your specialty.
- Canadian opportunities - Prospect.fyi
- Waterloo Region opportunities - Workintech.ca
- Toronto opportunities - MaRS job board
- Ottawa opportunities - Invest Ottawa’s Talent Program
- Waterloo Region
- Whether they moved here for school, for work or born and raised, Waterloo is home to some of the most creative people you’ll ever meet. The Communitech Talent Support Slack is a great way for international talent and expats to connect with companies looking to hire. Sign up and connect with Waterloo Region’s tech community.
Communitech's Peer2Peer (P2P) Groups provide an opportunity for individuals in similar roles or functions to learn, exchange advice and explore best-practices through a range of topics and session formats.
Job Seekers Connex
A P2P Group that provides resources to expand job seekers’ skills related to brand management, interviewing, resumé development and networking. Open to both technical and non-technical talent.
Professional development opportunities
Develop the skills to meet the needs of Canada's evolving workplaces.
Virtual programs are now available.
We're here to help students too
If you're enrolled at a Canadian post-secondary institution, Communitech can help connect you to the local and national tech community.
WorkInTech.ca is Communitech’s job board that brings together a comprehensive list of career opportunities in tech-driven companies throughout Waterloo Region.
.Are you a student working a co-op placement in Waterloo Region tech? Whether you are, you have, or you want to, join the KW Techs online community to grow your network and socialize with like-minded students. Be sure to select the “Attending School” option when it is presented.