Adapting to a virtual environment
Communitech Talent Connections: Job Seeker Networking Series
Articles and resources
Sign up for Your Week In Tech newsletter
- Stay informed on upcoming events, webcasts and programs to help you connect with new opportunities and expand your network.
- Sign up here
Communitech Peer2Peer Groups
Communitech’s P2P Network offers individuals the opportunity to collaborate with peers, explore common challenges, exchange advice and compare lessons learned. There are over 40 groups of technical and non-technical professionals to choose from, including the Job Seekers P2P (more on that below). Most groups will continue to run virtually during the COVID-19 crisis. Visit our website to see the complete list of groups and find the right one for you.
Communitech Job Seeker Peer2Peer Groups
This P2P is an informal business group aimed at expanding job seekers’ skills related to brand management, interviewing, resumé development and networking through speakers and roundtable discussions. Those who attend are able to meet others in employment transition to share progress, feedback and recommendations based on personal experience. Register at www.meetup.com/job-seekers-connex-p2p/
Managing your job search
“Ask the Recruiter” video series
Ask the Recruiter will be your chance to receive trusted advice from talent acquisition professionals to help you prepare and navigate your job search.
Communitech has partnered with Heather Bellingham, Olivia Tait and Justin Krulicki who have a combined 15 years of experience in recruitment and can answer all of your questions related to job searching, resumé creation, interviewing and even LinkedIn job search etiquette.
Here’s how it’ll work:
- Submit a question.
- Questions will be rolled up into themes on a weekly basis, with a new video released each week.
- Heather, Olivia and Justin will address questions and provide advice through their weekly themed video recording.
- To watch “Ask The Recruiter”, subscribe to our YouTube channel.
The Talent Team at Communitech is working with Prospect and actively scanning their Help List for talent displaced from our member companies. We are sharing this information with our member companies who indicate they are actively hiring.
Free access to Thrive software
Optimum Talent is offering free access to their Thrive software to anyone affected by COVID-19. Thrive offers bilingual software tools that are valuable to anyone looking for their next job opportunity. These include:
- Resume builder.
- Job search software.
- Job tracker.
- Networking tools.
- Event search.
- Learning centre with content to help manage your job search.
- Proprietary browser extension to analyse & track postings across job boards.
WorkInTech.ca is Communitech’s job board that brings together a comprehensive list of career opportunities in tech-driven companies throughout Waterloo Region.
Plum for job seekers
Plum believes that applicants should be considered based on talents that translate to success on the job—and that’s exactly what they measure. Create your Plum profile to learn how to better market yourself to your dream employer. Also learn what makes you most happy and fulfilled in your work, which types of work environments best suit you and how your personality affects your interviews. Creating a Plum profile is free and only takes about 25 minutes.
Conestoga career centre
Conestoga College is available to help you with your job search as well as assist you with your next career change. Their Career Centre offers specialized workshops, mock interviews, events and academic advisement—all free of charge. These sessions are open to the public and accessible to those who are currently unemployed.
The Workforce Planning Board of Waterloo Wellington Dufferin
There are a number of organizations in Waterloo, Wellington and Dufferin dedicated to helping you find employment. Explore the Workforce Planning Board of Waterloo Wellington Dufferin for information on the current labour market, as well as job and industry growth, events and activities designed to support jobseekers as they undertake their job search.
Explore professional development opportunities
- The tech sector is an increasingly vital part of economic prosperity in Waterloo Region, Ontario and Canada. The continued growth of tech will create a substantial number of new, well-paying jobs. The Communitech Academy was formed to support the growing needs and demands for talent in the region, offering specialized programming to develop specific skills for talent within the tech ecosystem. demands on talent in the region, as well as to help them hone specialized skills needed for high-value positions across the ecosystem.
- To learn more about upcoming sessions, programs and events, check out the Communitech Academy website